Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Far Eastern University blows its 83rd candle

Every third week of January, Far Eastern University (FEU) celebrates its anniversary. Last year, FEU observed its founding anniversary together with Vice Ganda and Spongecola. This year, the event was anticipated by the University students as they wanted to rock with Pupil and Callalily…

By Dante Rossetti Santos Alejo
FEU celebrates its anniversary starting on Monday (The University officials had their Church Mass and Floral Offering at the monument of the founder, Nicanor Reyes (ParaƱaque City). For the next days, they would do nothing. If not because of the student-leaders from Institute Student Councils, there would be no events in the University.
Kuya Dante, ganito ba talaga sa FEU? Hindi ko ramdam ang anniversary. [Is this the way FEU celebrates its anniversary? I don’t feel it]” my friend, a first year student asked me. I told him yes it is the way they celebrate it, students do not feel it.
I had my classes on Monday morning and then an emergency dance rehearsal when evening came; I went to school on Tuesday though I had no any class that day because I had to do something important (then I went to Divisoria with Johanna Lauraya and Jeffrey Jocson to buy some stuff needed for the Institute of Arts and Sciences – Student Council (IAS-SC)’s event the next day – the IAS Freshmen Get Together: One More Time!), when we went back to the office, we had a short meeting afterward. I attended my first two classes on Wednesday and when it was lunch break, I went to IAS-SC office together with my classmate Rizanne Ramos as she was one of the masters of ceremony of our event in the FEU-Auditorium.

I stayed in the office for about an hour to blow the balloons using a device intended for this. I got bruise in my finger as I was hurrying to do it, but still I felt good when I saw the excitement from the freshmen’s eyes getting the balloons we blew.
I also had the chance to perform on stage and it was great.
After the successful event, we had our picture taking in our photo booth outside the Auditorium. We packed up and had our merienda and rest.
The next day, I had my classes like it was an ordinary day and then I was interviewed by a student-reporter of PARAGON, the official newsletter of IAS, regarding the IAS-SC event.
Friday came and I had no class but I had to go to school to do some important things again; I was able to face Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago’s staff as they had the advance party in school or the viewing of the campus as Sen. Santiago would be coming on Jan. 27, 2011 at the University; and I attended our NSTP “class” – which is in FEU-SPARC. It was a tiring day as we had to stretch our muscles; it was like we were given by Coach Luis a difficult program in the gym – we had Spiderman, Itchy worm, Lunge-open book, and much more.
After the activity, I went back to school to attend the most anticipated event, Concierto Piyu: Otso Tres. It was 5:45 when it rained. We were so upset and hope that rain would stop. We wanted to welcome Pupil and Callalily (and there were humors that Vice Ganda was also there).
Hours passed but raindrops kept on falling. We went back and forth, from the office to the ground to the office again, to watch the concert but it still rained. I was saddened because I was not able to watch it though we had V.I.P Pass (to sit in front).
Anyway, the rain stopped at 9pm. Then, the organizers of the event had decided to cancel the event though it was very difficult for them to do it because they still wanted to continue it but the Administration did not want for the reason that they are checking the students’ safety besides it was too late.
Each went home disappointed and so I was.
Reference:
>Photos:
*Francis Ivan Reyes – http://www.facebook.com/album.php?fbid=175899142452220&id=100000964068756&aid=33882
*FEU-IAS-SC – http://www.facebook.com/album.php?fbid=175899142452220&id=100000964068756&aid=33882

No comments: