Sunday, January 2, 2011

Welcome and Celebrate the New Year

“10!
9!
8!
7!
6!
5!
4!
3!
2!
1!
Happy New Year!!!”

by Dante Rossetti Santos Alejo

Boom!

Noise is everywhere as people welcome and celebrate the New Year. We always do that. For the past 10 years, I have been fearful of what might happen to me or to anyone yet very excited celebrating the incoming year.

I do not want people using firecrackers such as Piccolo, Pop Pop, and Goodbye Philippines especially to scare people walking in the side of streets. Some Filipinos do that when I do not know what benefit they get from scaring people.

Then, I was cheerful when I learned from the news through the television that Department of Health (DoH) warns and restricts people to use firecrackers that may cause them (the ones who use cited dangerous firecrackers) harm.

The DoH did everything they had to do just to warn people, and I must say that they have done a good job. They might have scared people through the pictures depicting what might happen to them when someone uses illegal or dangerous firecrackers, but the thing is they are victorious to their goal.

According to the GMANews.tv as per the DoH, there are almost 800 people hurt because of unwanted firecrackers as they celebrate the New Year. This is still considerable as good because the rate downs as to comparison to the last five years welcoming the start of the New Year.

In relation to this, last year I was very mad at children living near our house. They used to throw Pop Pop and/or small and big triangles also known as Pla Pla to places they want, and there came a point where they threw it inside our premises, particularly in our garden. I got mad at them because of that. Also, whenever I go out, some do the same way. I just get annoyed of what they are doing especially that they did it from the very beginning of December (2009).

I just thought it might happen again last year (2010) as boys did it when September 2010 came. I told myself I do not want this to happen again notably from September to December, they would do that. Until news regarding warnings of DOH came out, I became happy more than ever when nobody was doing it anymore. They just did it from the morning of December 31 until we all welcome 2011. They were not able to do this on December 29 or 30 because it was raining those days.

On the other hand, my mother; my sister; and I went to Divisoria on December 31, the last day of the month and of the year, to buy some stuff that we may add to our personal belongings.

It was just unusual that there were lots of people in Kalentong, a market in Mandaluyong City, wandering and buying while in Divisoria, only few are buying. This happened in the evening. I thought we would be celebrating New Year in street; I thanked God for not letting that to happen.



After Divisoria, we went to Quiapo to attend a Mass and then back to Kalentong. We saw familiar faces there and greeted each other. After awhile, we made it back home before 9:30pm. Then we prepared.

We had our own countdown before 2011 comes. We used our sounds equipment; we used microphones and speakers to greet everyone a Happy New Year.


After the countdown, we lighted the fireworks we bought such as Lusis, Sparklers, and Fountains. We had our picture takings everywhere and gift giving like what we did on Christmas. We also did our traditional “Paagawan ng Pera”. It was indeed an enjoyable moment for me.

I slept before 5am because I did the household chores as I wanted to assure that everything was fine. I woke up around 11am then slept again and woke up again after an hour. Then i enjoyed the rest of the day.

I want to assure that 2011 will be a better year for me, for my family, and for my friends as God guides us always.

Reference:

I. Photos – date accessed January 2, 2011

http://offtheplanet.typepad.com/photos/73rd_tsuchiura_all_japan_/tsuchiura_fireworks_04_21.html

http://www.debateitout.com/should-fireworks-be-allowed-on-new-years-eve.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Quiapo_Church.jpg

II. Others:

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/209589/close-to-800-hurt-during-new-year-revelries-health-dept

No comments: