Sunday, January 30, 2011

FEU reserves the stage for Sen. Defensor Santiago

The Far Eastern University – College “Y” Club (FEU-CYC), together with the Institute of Arts and Sciences – Student Council (IAS-SC), and Political Science – Internationa

l Studies Society (Pol-IS Soc), invited the Office of Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago to be the guest

speaker of the University regarding the empowerment of today’s youth.



The project proponents are Francis Anecto Labalan, FEU-CYC and Pol-IS Soc Treasurer; and Johanna Lauraya, IAS-SC Treasurer.


By Dante Rossetti Santos Alejo


I have witnessed the preparations made by the project proponents for the symposium entitled Youth Empowerment Symposium, with the theme “The Role of the Youth in Nation Building”. It was not easy. I prepared a timeline showing my personal experience regarding the event.


January 21, 2011 (Friday). The staff of Sen. Defensor Santiago had an Advance Party in the University. They have visited where the Senator would make her way, and what the Auditorium looks like. I, together with the project proponents, entertained the guests; Labalan and Lauraya answered some questions asked to them, and they also asked some questions to the staff.


January 24 (Monday). We had our posting of the posters. This was also a traumatic experience for me because something happened I could not explain since it is too personal.


January 26 (Wednesday). Sen. Defensor Santiago’s staff e-mailed us confirming the Media who would cover the event. Everything was settled but this one was the only problem because the University Administration did not agree to the fact. We have contacted different people who could help us. There were too many conflicts that whole day.


January 27 (Thursday). The day of the event. I went to school about 11 am. I was busy preparing some stuff. I had some papers photocopied; the certificate signed by the authorities (but conflicts still happened that time). I went to the auditorium at 12nn. I did the preparations with some of the Executive Committee. I wore my corporate attire inside the dressing room of the Auditorium. I helped to usher guests and participants. I was so busy that day.


The Auditorium was filled by a lot of people.


When the Senator arrived, everybody was overwhelmed. The event started and she was introduced by Ms. Lauraya. I was at the backstage that time. I was having my short rest from the busy works I’ve done. I listened to the Senator’s talk; she had jokes which everyone had laughed at. Yet, I wasn’t able to listen all what she had talked – what’s I am sure of is that she talked about the youth.


After the talk, she had entertained some questions. Then, she was awarded of token of appreciation.

When she went down the stage, we followed her and there was a short interview from the media.

After the ambush interviews, she walked on and had shook hands with the students. We followed her until she reached the hallway of the first floor of the Administration Building. We were at the center when a student-reporter from FEU-Advocate (the official newsletter of the University) asked her two questions.







The Senator continuously walked afterwards. When we went out of the building, too many students were on our way. We had picture takings here and there. It was indeed an important event, a happy experience.



We went back to the Auditorium and fixed everything.


The event was very successful.


In this moment of time, I would like to thank the IAS-SC Adviser Professor Babsie Morabe, FEU-CYC and Pol-IS Soc Advisers, the Executive Committee, and other organizers who made the event possible. I would also like to acknowledge all the people who participated, cooperated, and coordinated with us.

No comments: